Sunday, February 5, 2012

Post #10: Today I'm cleaning my computer


I'm gettin some early spring cleaning done today, this article reminded me that I haven't fixed up my computer in a whiles

http://lifehacker.com/5882169/upgrade-and-speed-up-your-computer-this-weekend

If anyone is planning on following this article directly I can save you some time.




  • Defragmenting your disk isn't as helpful as it used to be as most new OS2 like Windows Vista/7 do it automatically, but there's nothing stopping you from doing it anyway.



  • Overclocking, while helpful, isn't recommended for laptops as they don't have sufficient cooling systems to deal with the extra power, but again there's nothing stopping you from doing it anyway, you'd have to really go past your laptops limit for any significant damage.



  • There's a program called CCcleaner that cleans up temporary files, though if you're not very tech savvy and you just run it without messing with some settings, it'll delete some of your saved passwords everytime you run it, so don't forget to add those websites to the "keep" list.



  • There's also a program called Revo something uninstaller, I'm sure you can find it by googling "revo uninstall", which does a more thorough job of uninstalling programs, it's good if your hard drive doesn't have a giant stockpile of memory and you have to uninstall every now and then.
Now that I've gotten all that out of the way, it's time to get started!

P.S. I need to close google chrome to finish cleaning stuff, but I'll be back with some songs of the day right after!

*I'm back, I lowered my computer's startup time from 3 minutes to 1 and a half. Wahu!

Here's some songs of the day to get you through cleaning:









No comments:

Post a Comment