Sunday, February 12, 2012

Flirting and Protesting


I woke up on Saturday morning with a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. I turned on my computer and went to http://accessnow.tumblr.com/ to check one last time...where was the San Jose ACTA protest going to take place again? All week I had known about the day of action but I wasn't planning on going.
I had never gone to a protest before, so I was a little wary of going, especially by myself. I desperately called friends, and begged my sister to go with me. But in the end, I was convinced that if I really cared, I would go with or without company. That being said, I brought Lupin along with me.
There were a handful of people at the corner of City Hall when I got there and they were delighted to have another member. They were also delighted that at least one person from Facebook showed up.
These men and women were all pretty much over 30, and I found out that most of them knew each other because they were all part of either the Green Party, or Occupy San Jose.

I never seem to forget what my anthropology teacher once said to us (and I paraphrase) "It's spring! But you all spend your time inside. Back then we would be out there on campus, flirting, and protesting!"
It's true that college age students gripe the most about problems, but they do the least to remedy them.I don't want to fit into that mold, and although I hardly do much, I'm trying to find ways to get better! The ACTA protest in San Jose (one of four in the ENTIRE U.S.) was small, and undocumented, but even one person makes a difference!
Check out those pictures from Accessnow, and look at the difference we're making on a worldwide level!

(I promise I will make more art this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment